Monday, December 10, 2007

Latke Happiness

We took the time this weekend to make latkes with the girls. It's something we haven't done, as a couple, in years, because usually we end up arguing about the recipe.
Spouse is a purist - a simple fried potato disc, maybe a little onion thrown in for flavour. No dressings or sauces. I, on the other hand, frequently throw lentils into the mix, along with some some white and green onion, egg and matzoh. I go for the savoury sour cream, the sweet cinnamon sugar, and the savoury-sweet sour cream with a touch of real maple syrup.
And the girls? Well, Kid1 takes after her dad on the latkes, and me on the sauce. Kid2 slept through the extravaganza. Kid3 loved it all; the making, the eating and the cleaning up. It felt like a little bit of my childhood as we shared our family recipes with her and shared the Chanukah celebrations as a family. And the first memory we have created that is uniquely ours as our new, complete family.
I don't remember my first latke. But I hope I will always remember hers.

No comments: